- Art/ social-political movement that aimed to reinvent culture that had become outdated
- Roughly occured between 1890s- 1960's.
- A rejection against realism
- divisions of modernism include avante-garde and surrealism
- films/ novels / art were self-reflective of society
- Modernism is self refelctive, it draws attention to itself and the material it uses- E.g. Jackson pollock
- 1970s onwards
- the breakdown of barriers beween genre and style
- The breakdown of distinction between binary divides (E.g. human and machine)
- Mixing up time, space and narrative
- Emphasis of style over content
- Blurring of fiction and reality / representation and the real
- Becoming more use to a mediated version of reality, than reality itself (hyperreality)
Intertextuality- one media text referring to another
Parody-mocking something in an original way
- The Simpsons parody both high and low cultre to a wide range of audiences
- part of the idea of postmodernism is that there is no divide between high arts and mass culture.
Pastiche-An artistic work in a style that imitates that of another work, artist or period. This is a self-conscious imitation.
Bricolage- mixing up and using different genres and styles. e.g Shaun of the Dead: Zombie mixed with and romantc comedy.
Homage-imitation from a respectful standpoint
- Generic conventions of a "golden age" Hollywood film of which "gaga" is the leading lady.